Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Good-bye Bear



Our much-loved family pet, Bear, died Sunday. I gave Bear to Barry as a college-graduation gift nearly ten years ago. (wow, we're getting old!) Although I was doubtful when Barry chose the most rambunctious, ankle-biting pup of the litter, he couldn't have chosen a better dog. Bear was an awesome bird-hunter with Barry, and a great running companion for me. And he was incredible with our kids. All three babies said "Bear" as one of their very first words, and he was so great with them. He never once snapped at any of them, no matter how they pulled his fur or stuck their hands in his mouth (Landon).

He got into a lot of trouble over the years, usually with other animals (who knew there were so many racoons, porcupines, and skunks on the hill where I run??) You'd think after getting sprayed by a skunk, or stuck by a porcupine he would have learned to stay away. Nope. Instead I think his thought process was "hey, there's a skunk/porcupine I HATE THEM--I think I'll go get a little closer."




Good-bye, Bear. We miss you so much already.

5 comments:

Karlee Christiansen said...

Oh don't do sad posts! Especially since I read these at work. I seriously am all teared up thinking of my poor kids without their dog. He was a really really good dog and I will miss him too.

Katie Griffiths said...

I can't believe for a family of non-animal lovers that we are all so sad about it. He was a good pet and we'll miss him. Cole told me not to worry though since he'll get resurrected.

Heather Whitehead said...

Sorry to hear about your dog, it's crazy how they become such a part of your family! You will have to get your kids another puppy!

Tiffany & Co. said...

Oh, he sounds like a great dog. It's amazing how much a part of the family they become. I'm so sorry he passed away, it makes me sad!

Julie said...

What a great tribute-- I am sad now, too! There is nothing like a good faithful pet dog!